A lot of time and detail went into choosing your dress, ring, flowers, and even your venue. Don’t let your makeup and hair take a backseat. Here are some top tips for making sure you look your best for your wedding day.
1. When choosing your hair and makeup artist, check their background experience, look through images of their work, this will help you see if their style will match your ideas.
2. Take the time to go through magazines and pull out makeup styles that you really like, even tear out the ones you really hate. It could be how a certain feature is played up, or that great lipstick color, or how the skin glows, or even how they used way too much eyeliner. All this is easy to say and show to a makeup artist, like me, with pictures. It helps tremendously to show your desires by pictures rather than endlessly describing it. This helps me immensely in seeing what you like and don’t like. A picture is worth a thousand words. It really gives a lot more information with a visual sense.
3. Take a picture of your wedding dress. This gives the artist a great idea of the style of the dress and the wedding. Is it romantic? Dramatic? Elegant? This gives an idea of your style.
4. Wear the correct shade of foundation. The best way to figure this out is in ‘natural’ daylight. Never make a decision about foundation unless you’ve applied it to your jawline first and looked at it in daylight. The colour should blend away like it has disappeared.
5. Waterproof, waterproof, waterproof. Many women make the mistake on assuming that they won’t cry on their wedding day when, in actuality, they always do. Use waterproof eyeliner, and mascara. We don’t want makeup running down the face from either tears or too many dances. Or alternatively treat yourself to eyelash extensions, gives a gorgeous natural look, opening up your eyes and will lasts for 6 weeks. So you can look gorgeous for your honeymoon too.
6. When having an up do style for your wedding day, always wash your hair the night before, so your hair has time during the night to produce natural oils. Which helps your hair hold its style on the day.
7. Get your hair into great condition by doing a deep conditioning treatment once a week or once a fortnight in the run-up to the wedding. Either at a salon or at home, by putting a conditioning hair mask on and wrapping a damp hot towel around your head leave to cool, then rinse of with cool water to lock the moisture in.
8. Keep your skin balanced and hydrated, treat yourself to a course of facials to the lead up to your wedding day. Even by just drinking 1 litre of water a day can give you an amazing glow to your skin.
9. Don’t think of your current style as a starting block for your wedding style. By adding hair extensions or a hairpiece can create volume and the style you dreamed of and still look completely natural. The beauty of a one off hairstyle is that you can go to much more effort than you would if you had to do it every day.
10. Get a great cut two to three weeks before the wedding day. Even if it’s long, get your ends snipped off. I’ve heard some hairdressers tell their clients to keep the ends and not cut them off as hair is easier to put up. I say get them trimmed — you have to think about your hair after the wedding and you want it to look good on your honeymoon.